The question of rolling release?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Wed Jan 25 23:01:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 13:33:49 -0600,
  Michael Cronenworth <mike at cchtml.com> wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >Personally I'd rather see the effort go into making it easier to update
> >between Fedora releases. That provides a way to remain fairly current without
> >starting from scratch and allowing you to choose the timing of when you want
> >to deal with disruption.
>
> What's wrong with preupgrade?

I usually use yum to do upgrades, so I don't have a list of items for
improving preupgrade specifically, but we do have issues with obsoletes
not being correct and versions being lower in newer releases. There has
been improvement in this area, but we could do better.
We could do more to handle needed configuration changes where there
are incompatibilities when upgrading some packages. Probably people can
think of other things.
Maybe there could be suggestions to install new packages (say it is
noticed you have lots of games installed and maybe there would be a
suggestion that you might want to install some games that are new to the
new release) when upgrading.