UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 04:50:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 04:53:33AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 26.01.2012 04:48, schrieb Rahul Sundaram:

> >> and that is a valueable argument for breaking things
> >> without really good reasons?
> >
> > The problem isn't the point your raise but the tone which is always
> > combative.  You sound demanding and that won't get you very far.
> > Repeating yourself so much doesn't help either.
>
> i see really nothing wrong in demanding not break things randomly without
> VERY good reasons and in this context it does relly not matter
> if opensource /paid / whatever

Then you need to re-evaluate your strategy.  In essence, people who are not
being paid monetarily are being paid in the good feelings that they get from
doing their work.  If you make demands in the tones you use, you are
removing some of their "pay".  At best, this means that the people you rant
against will start to ignore you.  At worst, they'll stop contributing to
free software and you'll be left with the broken pieces and no one to fix
them.

You may have a good and valid reason why preserving yum upgrades (without
the workaround that I already posted) is more important than the benefits of
moving the programs from / to /usr.  But unless you learn to state your
reasons in a more conciliatory manner people are just going to argue with
you or ignore you.

-Toshio