UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Ed Marshall esm at logic.net
Thu Jan 26 09:03:08 UTC 2012

While I take issue with how Reindl is presenting his case, I'd just
like to add a concurring voice to the original point: this will
negatively affect a particular swath of users, of which I am one.
Media-driven upgrades aren't a reasonable option for my (admittedly
small) collection of machines, all of which are managed remotely and
with a number of other constraints that I won't bore the list with (as
they're mainly self-imposed).

I suspect we're not the only ones for whom this will be a difficult
release. Not impossible by any stretch, but it will be, to be blunt, a
rather large pain in the ass for a particular class of user.

----

It's interesting to me to consider this change in the context of the
rolling release thread. (This is me trying to be constructive and get
people thinking, rather than the more argumentative approach I've seen
some folks taking so far. Let's see if it works. :))

Without revealing my own preference about rolling releases: how would
a change like this, whose deployment is *significantly* eased with
install-time magic, be deployed in a rolling-release world? (ie. add
the constraint that, once a machine is installed, ongoing updates are
performed without media; not that they are performed with "yum
upgrade", just that they are performed without physical media, and
with an eye toward minimal "offline time".)

How would the approach change? Could you (with effort) handle the
relocation of /bin and friends at runtime, or is this just one of
those times where you naturally need to boot to an upgrade process to
implement?

If we decide a boot to perform our magic is required (I concede that
the runtime case has a few chicken-and-egg problems to solve, and
backporting the RPM changes would probably be a requirement), could
the necessary initramfs and upgrade tooling be provided/generated as
part of a helper package for "yum upgraders," and documented on the
wiki (require a single reboot to do the minimal heavy lifting of the
relocation, then back to a running system for the actual upgrade)? Or
perhaps a more elegant solution that you could envision?

(If you hadn't guessed, I agree with the rationale for UsrMove; I
think it's a win. It just seems that more thought could be put into
how deployment has been implemented to make a few use cases more
reasonable. systemd-as-default was made to wait a release to make sure
the details were right; punting for a single release cycle isn't the
end of the world, for any feature.)

Anyway, food for thought. (And a potential real-world case for the
rolling-release proponents to consider.)

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> Am 26.01.2012 08:06, schrieb Aleksandar Kurtakov:

Ed Marshall <esm at logic.net>
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.
http://esm.logic.net/