UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Greg aptget40 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 09:42:15 UTC 2012

On 26/01/2012 7:31 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Live CDs cannot be used to upgrade existing systems.
>
> As for the DVD, it does not include the updates repository when doing
> upgrades (you can only add additional repositories for fresh installations),
> which means the process is completely broken due to the inevitable upgrade
> path issues. (You have to run "yum update" after the DVD upgrade to fix
> these, and that's if yum isn't affected by the upgrade path issues, which it
> sometimes is, e.g. it was for Fedora 11.) As I've already stated multiple
> times, the DVD MUST be fixed to include the updates repository for upgrades
> (and yes, that means offline upgrades are not possible, they're just not
> supportable; and yes, if Anaconda still doesn't support any networking other
> than basic wired Ethernet, that needs to be fixed, too); as is, DVD upgrades
> are totally unsupportable.
>
>          Kevin Kofler

as i will say again i have no problems downloading a LiveCD or a DvD. if
i have had 1 DE installed i'll download a LiveCD only rather than a DvD,
some people havent got the bandwidth to download a DvD. i have used a
LiveCD in the past without a problem. im suspecting a lot download a
LiveCD just to install KDE or Gnome, once that's installed they then yum
the rest. i dont see anything wrong with this Feature Fedora/Redhat want
by moving all the binaries to /usr . if one doesnt like it then all i
can suggest is move to a different Distro. just because it's gonna
interupt people from using " yum upgrade dist or whatever. this is the
21st century yanno. technology does improve or get better. however if
you wanna complain to kevin i can buy you a box of tissues. whether this
feature gets pushed in F17 or a later release its gonna be something you
cant stop. whinging about it isnt helping anyone. a quote from Rahul i
totally agree with. perhapos you should make better approaches to Kev.