The question of rolling release?

Mark Bidewell mbidewel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 17:15:01 UTC 2012

I just had a conversation which I believe sheds some light on the
problem which a rolling release is trying to solve. The example is
Ubuntu bu you could apply the same to Fedora/RHEL.

My coworker wants to use Ubuntu LTS for development on Heroku.  He
wants the stability of an LTS, but he needs a later version of Ruby to
run the Heroku tools.  He has found that there is not supported way to
upgrade Ruby short of recompiling Ruby or upgrading his entire system.
 Because of this he has returned to developing on OS X which handles
the Ruby upgrade.

I understand the cry of "what about dependencies?"  However, if Linux
is to succeed we need to be able to be able to work with cases like
this one which OS X are fine with i.e.  where only one or two packages
out of an entire system need to be upgraded leaving the rest of the
system alone.

--
Mark Bidewell
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markbidewell