UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jan 26 22:33:42 UTC 2012

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> As you've been pointing out, this is a recipe for alpha slippage (and
> since recently we've been slipping all later milestones, a slip in alpha
> means a slip to the release) but I don't think the feature owners are
> technically doing anything wrong under the current policy :-(

This is not the first time a "feature" which impacts the entire distribution
in a way which can break a lot of things gets rushed in so late. I remember
the ld DSO "feature" which changed decades-old ELF semantics, breaking the
build of dozens of packages, and which got rushed into F13 the day of the
feature freeze (!), with neither the feature owners nor FESCo wanting to
postpone it to F14 even though there was no reason at all why that change
couldn't have waited for a release (especially considering that the F14
Rawhide was about to open, which would have been the perfect point in the
schedule to land such a change). I don't understand the rush for UsrMove
either. We really need to require such deep-impacting changes to land much
earlier in the cycle (if we allow them at all), while being more flexible
for features in leaf packages. Having a single feature freeze day for
everything just doesn't work.

        Kevin Kofler