UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Jan 26 22:47:14 UTC 2012

Greg wrote:
> as i will say again i have no problems downloading a LiveCD or a DvD. if
> i have had 1 DE installed i'll download a LiveCD only rather than a DvD,

Have you even READ what I wrote? Live CDs CANNOT UPGRADE, only reinstall.
And no, I will definitely NOT reinstall at every release. Reinstalling
trashes all the systemwide configuration, the list of installed packages
etc. It's just no substitute for an upgrade.

> some people havent got the bandwidth to download a DvD. i have used a
> LiveCD in the past without a problem. im suspecting a lot download a
> LiveCD just to install KDE or Gnome, once that's installed they then yum
> the rest.

For the initial installation, that's exactly what I recommend. But this is
NOT AN OPTION for upgrades.

> i dont see anything wrong with this Feature Fedora/Redhat want
> by moving all the binaries to /usr .

… which goes against the FHS and is just pointless bikeshedding. (Who cares
where on the / partition the binaries end up?)

> if one doesnt like it then all i can suggest is move to a different
> Distro. just because it's gonna interupt people from using " yum upgrade
> dist or whatever. this is the 21st century yanno. technology does improve
> or get better.

… which is exactly why having to burn physical media to do upgrades is
entirely obsolete.

> however if you wanna complain to kevin i can buy you a box of tissues.
> whether this feature gets pushed in F17 or a later release its gonna be
> something you cant stop. whinging about it isnt helping anyone. a quote
> from Rahul i totally agree with. perhapos you should make better
> approaches to Kev.

1. Can you drop the personal attacks?
2. There's still hope we can stop it. (But I'll have to take the blame for
not having spoken up sooner against this nonsense "feature", I just didn't
have the time to seep through the mega-thread at the time it was posted.)
3. If the decision is to go ahead with the feature anyway, it will sure not
be YOU to decide it. Are you even a Fedora contributor?

        Kevin Kofler