UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 17:00:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 02:27:59PM +0100, Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-01-26 at 23:53 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> > I don't understand why we absolutely HAVE to change directories to symlinks
> > when we KNOW RPM doesn't support this, and that in directories as essential
> > as /bin etc.
>
> We could wait until you have convinced people, maintainers and users
> alike, to fix their packages and scripts all in one go over to using the
> new paths, so we get by without compat symlinks. But I don't think we
> want to wait for that. Agreed, it'd be a whole lot nicer if RPM could
> handle symlink <-> non-symlink transitions without crutches like this
> one, but right now it can't.

Actually... we will "always" need the compat symlinks (for a finite but
definitely long value of "always").  Third party scripts, scripts that have
been in use on local systems, written by people who have long since passed
on (to new jobs), people targetting FHS compliant systems (unless the FHS
changes), etc will all depend on those symlinks being present.  Even third
party software that users want to compile and run may try to install into
/bin, /sbin, and /lib so we may have that problem even there.

-Toshio