UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 18:43:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
> if you finally want have /bin as symlink forever this whole
> change is only wasted time and makes no sense at all

If you haven't read the new summary write-up on the benefits of the
/user feature that I think you would benefit from reading it.
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge

If you have read it, then I fear you either don't fully understand or
do not value the long term benefits associated with the filesystem
snapshotting nor the utility of having read-only shared vendor
supplied /usr across many guest instances.

If those stated benefits are achievable in practise, I think carrying
around a few symlinks in / till the heat death of the universe is a
reasonable cost to pay to achieve a stateless vendor OS contained in
/usr.

-jef