[kde, lxde, xfce] Removing ModemManager dep from NM, adding to comps instead

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Jan 27 21:23:17 UTC 2012

> Dan Williams wrote:
> > People who don't have 3G modems and know they wont in the future have no
> > need of installing or running MM.  Thus I'd like to remove the RPM dep
> > from NetworkManager, and instead add ModemManager to the default comps
> > installs of all the major desktop environments instead.  Thus base
> > system installs won't include ModemManager, but desktop installs would.
> > Most 3G users are likely desktop users as well.
>
> Why not add this to some desktop-independent comps group instead, e.g. base,
> dial-up or hardware-support? I think the desktop groups are not the right
> place to put this, it has nothing to do with desktops.

True; it is certainly possible to configure and use 3G cards with
NetworkManager and ModemManager without a desktop environment by editing
the connection configuration files
in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections and using "nmcli con [up|down]
<uuid>" to start and stop it.

The thought there had been that if it were added to the "dialup" group
as a "default" dependency, it conceptually conflicts with wvdial and
such.  You probably shouldn't be using wvdial at the same time as you're
using MM (though you can actually use wvdial when MM is running as long
as you don't enable the modem in MM since then they'll fight over the
serial port).  That said, sometimes its useful to have both installed so
that wvdial can be used to verify a modem works when we're debugging
ModemManager.  So I'll add to the dialup group then.

Dan