Unity For Fedora (As in OpenSUSE or Arch)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jan 27 23:03:03 UTC 2012

Adam Williamson wrote:
> As far as I'm aware, Canonical were reasonably good about proposing the
> libindicator patches for upstream inclusion, but many upstream projects
> - especially those that are part of GNOME - weren't exactly rushing to
> adopt the patches. I think Canonical did try to implement libindicator
> support as a plugin for apps with sufficently sophisticated plugin
> frameworks, which obviously helps.

That's really GNOME's fault. :-( Canonical explicitly designed
libappindicator (which is the library applications are expected to use, it
uses libindicator behind the scenes; there's also libindicate which is for
communication apps to notify new messages and such, confusing, isn't it?) to
be interoperable with KDE's status notifier spec, and thus applications
supporting libappindicator will also integrate better into the KDE Plasma
workspaces than applications still stuck on the legacy XEmbed-based system
tray protocol and/or using a GNOME-only gnome-shell extension. But GNOME is
giving the finger to cross-desktop protocols and refusing to implement them.

It's too bad that our maintainers for the affected packages are often one
and the same as the GNOME maintainers and thus Fedora is mostly siding with
GNOME on this and refusing to carry those patches, hurting all non-GNOME
desktops, not just Unity.

        Kevin Kofler