Fedora 17’s unified filesystem (/usr-move)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Jan 28 02:22:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-27 at 14:10 +0100, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> Hello Testers and rawhide Users,
>
> Fedora 17 will locate the entire base operating system in /usr. The directories
> /bin, /sbin, /lib, /lib64 will only be symlinks:
>  /bin → /usr/bin
>  /sbin → /usr/sbin
>  /lib → /usr/lib
>  /lib64 → /usr/lib64
>
> Some reasoning behind this change is outlined here:
>  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
>
> The official Fedora 17 feature page is here:
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove
>
> The needed changes to implement the unified filesystem are about to land in
> rawhide soon. New installations of rawhide/Fedora 17 will install the symlinks
> right away, and no special care needs to be taken

Thanks for your work, Harald.

So, as I mentioned in another follow-up, we didn't really establish any
'ground rules' for when we're going to re-tag the builds into Rawhide.
Aside from the questions other groups may have, from the QA side, I'd
suggest we want at least:

* two or three successful tests of the yum process with an existing
Rawhide install

* a successful test of a fresh install with the /usr move packages
(assuming we're in a state where we can even do a fresh install
*without* the /usr move stuff: we will know more on that front shortly)

and ideally:

* a successful test of a media-based upgrade from F16

before we go ahead and PULL SOME LEVERS.

I have the /usr move feature on the agenda for the QA meeting on Monday
morning, so we'll plan the testing out in more detail then. I guess
we'll look at building a special install image for testing, if that's
necessary. If you and/or kay could be at the meeting - 1600 UTC on
Monday - that'd be a big help. Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey