MATE desktop environment (GNOME 2 fork)

Eric Smith eric at brouhaha.com
Sat Jan 28 05:11:42 UTC 2012

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> [Reviving an old thread ...]
>
> Indeed this seems to be not just vapourware:
>
> http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=119

I don't buy the arguments that MATE is vapourware, but building a new
Gnome-2-like desktop on the Gnome 3 underpinnings obviously is easier
and in the long term better than a complete fork of Gnome 2.

I've been running Cinnamon 1.2 on F16 x86_64 for a few days.  It seems
to work pretty well.  It isn't able (yet?) to fix all of the things I
dislike about Gnome 3, but it does fix a lot of them, and it is in most
regards more similar to the Gnome 2 desktop than are Xfce or LXDE.