UsrMove feature breaking "yum upgrade" upgrades from older releases to F17?

phantomjinx p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 11:27:55 UTC 2012

Morning people,

Having just caught onto this thread about half way through and now read
the various pages concerning the topic, I am still in the dark about
going forward.

I have 3 machines running F15 that I am upgrading to F16 shortly. I have
been using yum to upgrade 2 of them since Fedora Core 1 so that is my
usual upgrade path. All of them have a separate /usr partition and it is
extra hassle for me to unite the partitions.

I understand that things could gracefully break once the /usr merge has
occurred. Therefore, is there a resource to explain how to 'pre-mount
/usr into the initramfs' to avoid the breakages please? Is this
possible? Would uniting the partitions be the only possibility?

This is intended as pragmatic questions since I am at this moment quite
neutral/ignorant on the finer points of this discussion.

Thanks

phantomjinx