Rolling release Fedora - fantastic idea

Brendan Jones brendan.jones.it at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 22:15:36 UTC 2012

On 01/28/2012 01:10 AM, Andrew Wyatt wrote:
> I read the list thread concerning a Fedora rolling release distribution,
> and I found it interesting enough to compel me to join the list and
> weigh in.
>
> First, I think a rolling release Fedora is a fantastic idea. I'm certain
> that it's possible, since I've been pulling packages from 15, 16, and
> Rawhide downstream to Fuduntu which still has a lot of 14 left at it's
> core with much success.
>
> Some potential reasons why it would be a good idea.. A lot of us don't
> like to risk a major upgrade every 6 months to a year, or reinstall. We
> can always save a dump of rpms, and not format /home but still, that's a
> lot of unnecessary work. If you aren't in a position to do a full backup
> (right or wrong) it becomes even more of a challenge.
>
> It's also very convenient to upgrade to Firefox 9 for example without
> having to go to Remi, or spend hours upgrading everything. If it rolls,
> everything gets upgraded over time. Huge convenience factor here.
>
> I just pulled LibreOffice 3.4.4 from Fedora 16 down to Fuduntu. I'm also
> shipping Firefox 9.
>
> If you were interested in going forward with a rolling release model,
> your community is large enough that it doesn't have to be your core
> product. It could though be the foundation for your core product.
>
> I'd recommend continuing your release cycle, shifting to rolling Fedora,
> and point release from that.
>
> Rawhide IMHO is "rolling", but it's also very unstable, as you all well
> know.

I think what a lot of end-users don't understand is that Fedora sits
_very_ close to upstream and in the most part, package updates are
determined by the maintainer, not Fedora. What that means is a lot of
the show-stopping bugs meet their end in rawhide before they even make
it to the other rolling release distros. If the need is for the latest
and greatest of package _x_ then that is a packaging issue and that
should be directed to the maintainer of said package - Fedora does not
decide when/if a package should be upgraded - the packager does. For
major changes, the Fedora KDE model seems to work pretty well I think.

I don't really see the need for a rolling release... if end users want
that warm-happy feeling that they're using the latest and greatest then
thay should contact the maintainer or provide a patch.