[ACTION REQUIRED v3] Retiring packages for F-17

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Sun Jan 29 23:04:11 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> Or a keyword that would exclude the ticket from the compiled list
>> automatically? If a second search on all tickets with that keyword
>> results in hundreds or thousands of ticket numbers, that should raise
>> an alarm-bell.
>
> If you set release to rawhide and add the FutureFeature keyword, the bug
> will be kept on "rawhide" and not moved to release branches, so it will
> never be affected by this cleanup.

Don't let's make it expected and OK to game the process - that way
lies endless bureaucracy and nonsensical procedures for doing things.
Let's either accept the current outcome, or propose and implement
something different.

(Personally, I think that if we have a package:
- for which users have provided patches in bugzilla
- for which the none of the co-owners of the package has responded the patch
- for which nobody has initiated the "unresponsive packager" procedure,
- for which nobody (neither the reporter nor the co-owners, nor anyone
else) has bumped the Release: field as requested by the automated
script

then clearly nobody is interested enough in maintaining the package
properly, and keeping it in the distribution is a disservice to our
users; therefore the package should be dropped from the distribution.)
    Mirek