Rolling release Fedora - fantastic idea

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jan 30 00:17:18 UTC 2012

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:23:07 -0500
Genes MailLists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:

> On 01/28/2012 12:23 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 11:15:11 -0600
> > Andrew Wyatt <andrew at fuduntu.org> wrote:
> >
> > ...snip...

> > I think the way forward is the one I outlined in:
> > http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-January/161632.html
> >
> > Until those interested can organize and present a compelling case, I
> > fear threads like this one aren't too much use.
> >

>   Possibly - but without the support from at least some of the Fedora
> core team (fesco, board, key redhatters etc) and possibly some on the
> RH business side recognizing some potential benefit in the enterprise
> setting, this is quite likely not to go too far .. and so far I'm not
> aware of much support for this ..

I can only speak for myself, but I don't see any chance of it going
anywhere _without_ some kind of more organized and detailed plan.

>   This can of course be because these key folk, after careful
> consideration,  do not see it as a viable choice to make for Fedora
> and/or ultimately its impact on RHEL.
>
>   They are, after all, key players for good reason(s) ... I cannot
> imagine they are not familiar with the pros/cons of such an approach.
>
>   The benefits/drawbacks of a rolling release are rather well known
> these days (notwithstanding those that somehow still believe rawhide
> is a rolling release .. :-) )...
>
>    Given that, do folks still believe it could be worthwhile for the
> rolling-releasers to build a case in a wiki somewhere?

Again, speaking for myself, I don't have time or desire to go and
research rolling releases and come up with a plan. I would be happy to
look at such a plan and provide feedback.

I can think of several possible good things that could come out of a
more detailed plan:

- Perhaps you can identify some more minor change in our release setup
  that could be done to more accommodate people who like rolling
  releases.

- Perhaps the group would form up a new forked distro using rolling
  releases.

- Perhaps you could convince people that advantages of rolling releases
  are better than the disadvantages.

On the other hand, I think that the chance of any change or good coming
from prolonging this thread are slight.

kevin