Rolling release Fedora - fantastic idea

Aleksandar Kurtakov akurtako at redhat.com
Mon Jan 30 07:05:26 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

Fedora's huge advantage and huge disatvantage is the same - For a great number of packages the package maintainer is upstream developer too.
This is great in my eyes, making all other distros not even coming close for development purposes. But I agree that upstream developers
might be the weakest point because whenever we have to choose we will choose to fix the upstream project FIRST. And sometimes there will be no time left for Fedora because of real life.
And this is the weakest point - I myself would always prefer to fix a problem upstream and not playing some dance to ship latest version on some rolling distro or older-but-supported version.
Yes, for me F-(n-1) receives only security fixes though if someone wants he/she can step in and do the rolling/old versions support.
So yes someone can count package maintainers as the weakest point - from a very limited Fedora POV, if one looks on the big (Linux-wide) picture the observations would be very different.

Alex