Heads up: Rebuild for Ruby 1.9.3

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Jan 30 08:07:57 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 07:56 AM, Bohuslav Kabrda wrote:
> [...]
This consideration is mostly irrelevant.

We are building the distro, therefore it's our (the packagers') task and
duty to make sure a package technically properly integrates into our
distro. It's upstream's freedom to help us to make integrating their
works into ours easy or to ignore us.

The technical background behind all this is Fedora being a multiarch'ed
distro, into which installing arch-depending binaries into a directory,
which is not supposed to contain arch-dependent files, doesn't fit
_technically_ (Note: This is a technical requirement and not a matter of
conventions).

=> If upstream can't or doesn't want to provide a solution to this
technical problem, Fedora packagers will have to come up with a solution
and carry around patches. This not unusual, because some upstreams' devs
have never used multiarch'ed systems and are not aware about the
shot-comings of their implementation.

> For example, people from Debian/Ubuntu install Gems under /var/lib/gems [2],  which doesn't really make sense to us.
Could you elaborate why you are saying so? I am not sufficiently
familiar with ruby, but it could be a "quick hack" which at least could
help to some extend.

Ralf