Fedora 17’s unified filesystem (/usr-move)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 16:03:53 UTC 2012

Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) said:
> > To be precise:
> >
> > [root at nostromo ~]# mv /bin /cow
> > [root at nostromo ~]# /cow/ln -s /cow /bin
> > [root at nostromo ~]# rpm -qf /cow/bash
> > bash-4.2.20-1.fc16.x86_64
> > [root at nostromo ~]# rpm -qf /bin/bash
> > bash-4.2.20-1.fc16.x86_64
> >
> > rpm should already handle this, no need for the provides.
>
> Elsewhere in this thread it was pointed out that yum doesn't handle it
> the same way.

When calculating local on-system provides, it should - in fact, I'd be
surprised if it doesn't. Admins sometimes move directories around and
replace them with symlinks.

Is the statement that it won't take it into account for an initial install
transaction?

(The solution then would be to merely not change the packaging outside of
the filesystem package.)

Bill