Re: Fedora 17’s unified filesystem (/usr-move)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:22:04 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:03 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> Miloslav Trmač (mitr at volny.cz) said:
> When calculating local on-system provides, it should - in fact, I'd be
> surprised if it doesn't. Admins sometimes move directories around and
> replace them with symlinks.

Well, that's a very different scenario.

> Is the statement that it won't take it into account for an initial install
> transaction?

My statement is that packages on a F17 system won't declare that they
install /bin/foo (unless an explicit "compat" provides is written into
the spec file).

So external packages (_not_ coming from Fedora) may depend on
/bin/foo, and yum won't know what to install.

Perhaps yum can be taught explicitly about these symlinks, or perhaps
the whole repo needs a whole lot of "provides" added. Cannot right now
see a practical 3rd option.

Note that I'm _for_ the /usr move, just being curious (perhaps
annoying) about some technical details. The benefits are compelling
for many things I do in my personal computing, and for the work we do
@ OLPC.