Updates: karma and timeouts

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Jul 11 23:38:19 UTC 2012

Hey, folks.

So I've had a feeling lately that the amount of karma being filed on
updates has dropped - especially since proventesters was axed - but I
don't have hard numbers. I've put it on my todo list to check into this
and do what I can to fix it, though. Testers, as I always nag, please
keep up karma efforts - even though proventesters is inactive at
present, updates still need karma! Whether you're a proventester or not,
please keep up filing karma, for F16 as well as F17. Thanks.

Secondly - something developers can do: remember that there's a 7-day /
14-day timeout rule for your updates! You can push non-critpath updates
7 days after they go to updates-testing even if they have zero karma,
and critpath updates after 14 days.

14 days is kind of a long time and it's easy to forget, so it's probably
a good idea to sign into Bodhi every so often and check if you have any
updates sitting in updates-testing where the timeout has expired and you
can now push them stable if you so choose. I have noticed a few updates
where the deadline expired some time ago that haven't been pushed yet.
Obviously in some cases the devs may be choosing not to push the updates
until they get some karma, but I thought I'd just put out a general
reminder just in case. Thanks folks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey