preventing known-damaging third-party to fedora/epel package upgrade?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Jul 12 15:18:09 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Paul Wouters <pwouters at redhat.com> said:
> So perhaps the best way would be to never allow the upgrade from 1.3.x
> to 1.4.x. Is there any kind of support for this? Looking at the
> triggers, and the fact that the bad packages are already installed on
> those systems, I don't think any of the triggers, even %triggerin,  will
> be usable for this?

One way to handle packages that have no practical RPM upgrade path is to
include the version in the name (e.g. make your package "foo14").  That
way:

- Upstream "foo" (or even "foo13") would never be auto-upgraded to
  "foo14".
- Assuming they have files by the same name, "foo"/"foo13" would
  conflict with "foo14" (so attempting to install "foo14" would fail
  unless the old version was first removed, which would hopefully mean
  the admin backed things up first).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>