preventing known-damaging third-party to fedora/epel package upgrade?

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Thu Jul 12 15:39:33 UTC 2012

On 07/12/2012 11:20 AM, Tom Callaway wrote:

> On 07/12/2012 11:01 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> I would like to prevent this from happening. But since this only happens
>> when  upgrading from a third-party 1.3 (which we don't ship) to a 1.4,
>> even if I used triggers to work around the config file issue, the users
>> would end up with a broken database setup anyway. I could address that
>> with an auto-migration script, but then any accidental upgrade would be
>> even harder for those people who wanted to remain on 1.3. to downgrade back.
>
> Make backup copies of the config file and database before you migrate,
> and print a notice in the %triggerun explaining the situation and these
> new files?

I dont need to backup the database, it is only created on first package
install, and not changed during package upgrade. The database is bad
because those users would have the database for 1.3, instead of 1.4.

Ideally, the upgrade would just always bail out and be prevented, but I
don't think we have a mechanism for that?

Paul