Set bash's shell option nullglob by default?

Roman Rakus rrakus at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 11:56:29 UTC 2012

Hi,
I have a question about nullglob bash's shell option. I want to hear
opinions.
The behavior is nicely described in bash reference manual [1]
By default, the nullglob is turned off. And it tends people to use bad
habits in shell scripting.
In my POV the nullglob could be turned on by default. However, i would
like to hear opinions from others.

It is possible it can break many scripts even in rpm's scriptlets, but
as I already said, it's because bad habits. So the main gain will be the
people will learn how is the globbing in bash and in the whole
environment working.

RR

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Filename-Expansion