Set bash's shell option nullglob by default?

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Fri Jul 13 12:19:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 13:56 +0200, Roman Rakus wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question about nullglob bash's shell option. I want to hear
> opinions.
> The behavior is nicely described in bash reference manual [1]
> By default, the nullglob is turned off. And it tends people to use bad
> habits in shell scripting.
> In my POV the nullglob could be turned on by default. However, i would
> like to hear opinions from others.

This could cause serious surprising breakages of scripts with strange
consequences. I'm strictly against this change. If something at all
should be changed in this regard to break bad habits then it should be
the failglob option although I am not convinced that it is too good idea
either.
--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb