prelink should not mess with running executables

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jul 14 14:19:23 UTC 2012

If prelink chews on a binary that's currently running, its /proc/self/exe
essentially goes away. Which can be undesirable, for a persistent daemon
process.

It took me a while to figure out why my daemon kept breaking all the time,
when it couldn't stat its /proc/self/exe any more.

I suppose I could blacklist it, in prelink.conf. But that seems wrong.
prelink should either avoid touching binaries that are currently loaded, or
there should be a way prelink can coordinate its activity with binaries.