prelink should not mess with running executables

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Sun Jul 15 17:31:41 UTC 2012

On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 15:50:39 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> only prelink is good with zero benefit?

Yes, without that "zero benefit".  prelink has provable startup performance
improvement and runtime memory savings.

> i did not notice ever any benfit of prelink even by
> starting large applications

This is repeating argument again and again, there are many benchmarks of
prelink if you have spent several seconds Googling them, one of them even here:
	Re: prelink: is it worth it?
	https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-July/msg00650.html

> it is broken by design modify installed/running binaries

ELF is designed to be relocated, as you can read from the ELF standard.
And prelink is even designed to very easily provide the original binary form.

> it is a solution becuase prelink is a "have solution seacrh for problem"

The problem is battery drain, everyone tries to optimize battery drain
nowadays, to be "green" and to extend portable devices lifetime.
prelink contributes to the battery drain solution.

Unless you can claim we should compile everything with -O0.

Regards,
Jan