prelink should not mess with running executables

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sun Jul 15 20:42:00 UTC 2012

Jan Kratochvil writes:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:19:23 +0200, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > It took me a while to figure out why my daemon kept breaking all the
> > time, when it couldn't stat its /proc/self/exe any more.
>
> This is a bug of the daemon.  While it is already suspicious it needs to mess
> with "/proc/self/exe" stat works for it even when it is already deleted:
> 	cp /usr/bin/perl /tmp/perlcopy;/tmp/perlcopy -MData::Dumper -le
> 'unlink "/tmp/perlcopy";print Dumper stat,readlink for "/proc/self/exe"'

Perhaps I should clarify: stat and readlink, with readlink actually giving
the full path to the running executable.

I thought that this was something rather obvious, since, as in this case,
the executable image that's being run is not called "/tmp/perlcopy
(deleted)".

And I wouldn't be so presumptions as to state authoritatively what is or is
not a bug, in something whose purpose is not known to me.

> This is a bug of yum, it should run prelink for any updated software.
>
> This is a bug of the intrusion detections software which should run
> documented
> way:
> 	prelink -u -o - /bin/bash | read the original binary
>
> This is a bug of cron, this problem affects me also for nightly updates and
> nightly build and regression testing jobs.

What would be the Bugzilla entries for all these bugs you've just discovered?