prelink should not mess with running executables

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jul 15 18:09:58 UTC 2012

Am 15.07.2012 19:58, schrieb Jan Kratochvil:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 19:37:26 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> you must start openoffice damned often that the benfit beats out
>> the overhead of the /etc/cron.daily/prelink
>
> When you prelink it nightly on AC and run it at least once on battery, the
> saving has been done.

in a perfect world

>> to beat the battery drain of /etc/cron.daily/prelink
>
> That prelink is being run on battery I repeat is a bug of cron.

it is NOT a bug of cron

how do you imagine this in real life for a notebook
user? in the night the machine is off, so most of the
time when the machine is on AC prelink cron can not
run and start it's job somewhere in the morining
while the user works on his machine

> I had a script to disable such jobs automatically, I do it by hand nowadays.

thank god taht this script is installed per default as
prelink too and only 1 out of 1000 users has the knowledge
how to disable it

however, you said here "it is a bug in prelink" with other words

>> the compiler optimizing is made one time on the buildserver
> I have considered developers now as we are on fedora-devel

that was not the point because yu stripped it

there is a huge difference between optimizing in the build-process
and things running repeatly on all users machines as long
they are not remove things by hand