prelink should not mess with running executables

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 15:32:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 10:03:27AM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-07-15 at 15:45 +0200, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:19:23 +0200, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > > It took me a while to figure out why my daemon kept breaking all the
> > > time, when it couldn't stat its /proc/self/exe any more.
> >
> > This is a bug of the daemon.  While it is already suspicious it needs to mess
> > with "/proc/self/exe" stat works for it even when it is already deleted:
> > 	cp /usr/bin/perl /tmp/perlcopy;/tmp/perlcopy -MData::Dumper -le 'unlink "/tmp/perlcopy";print Dumper stat,readlink for "/proc/self/exe"'
> > 	$VAR1 = 18;
> > 	[...]
> > 	$VAR13 = 32;
> > 	$VAR14 = '/tmp/perlcopy (deleted)';
> >

> > On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 16:43:13 +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > > it should be generally considered if prelink is useful at
> > > all on a distribution with high frequently updates
> >
> > This is a bug of yum, it should run prelink for any updated software.
>
> I'd be more inclined to say it's a bug in our rpm setup, in that we're
> not using collections yet to get rid of boilerplate crap like
>
> %post -p /sbin/ldconfig
>
> The feature's been there since rpm 4.9.0 (F15).  Why aren't we using it
> yet?

http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2012-05-30/fpc.2012-05-30-16.00.log.html

tibbs brought it up but spot thought that it wasn't turned on in our build
of rpm "because iirc, it would make the rpm format incompatible with older
versions".

I don't know if anyone followed up on this on the rpm-maint list.  Reading
the meeting log there, I'd say the FPC would welcome a draft on using rpm
collections if they are in a workable state (with some possible questions of
whether "experimental" is a workable state or not.)

In terms of how the Guidelines would look, FPC would probably need to either
work on the boilerplate that the collections code uses or link to them
for the benefit of maintainers that want to maintain rpms in EPEL 5 and
EPEL 6.

-Toshio