gitweb-caching to cgit move

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Jul 16 21:59:07 UTC 2012

Greetings.

Fedora infrastructure has been looking at moving from gitweb-caching to
cgit for git.fedorahosted.org and pkgs.fedoraproject.org. Some reasons:

gitweb-caching upstream is not very alive.

gitweb-caching needs manual clearing of it's cache from time to time.

gitweb-caching seems to run into security issues, and due to inactive
upstream it's difficult to fix.

gitweb-caching cannot handle the number of repos in
pkgs.fedoraproject.org and doesn't display a useful top page.

gitweb-caching seems to leave lingering old git-daemon processes
around.

cgit cleans up after itself.

cgit can display the pkgs.fedoraproject.org repo collection (all be it
if it's not cached currently it takes a while the first hit and splits
pkgs into 248 pages).

cgit seems to have a somewhat active upstream.

cgit is faster.

cgit displays UTF8, where gitweb-caching often doesn't.

We have already pushed cgit live for folks to look at:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/

and

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/

We don't want to carry a ton of redirects/rewrites forever, so we were
planning on just adding a few to go to the project if we can tell what
that was/is and redirect the rest to the top level to use the search
box.

We would like to make this change on 2012-07-30, unless there's some
show stopper found before then.

In the mean time, if everyone could:

- Move any scripts or processes you have that use a gitweb-caching url
  to using a cgit one.

- Look over the interface(s) above and let us know (via a
  infrastructure ticket or #fedora-admin) if you run into a issue with
  them.

Let us know if you have any other issues or concerns.

kevin