prelink should not mess with running executables

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Jul 18 22:35:38 UTC 2012

Chris Adams writes:

> Once upon a time, Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> said:
> > Chris Adams writes:

> > >any
> > >
> > >Sure it does.  If the credentials are always correct, additional checks
> > >past that are a waste of cycles.
> >
> > You feel absolutely confident that just because you can't think of any
> > value  of additional checks, there cannot possibly be any.
> >
> > You're wrong.
>
> Prove it.

Why? I am not trying to prove this. I am trying to prove that prelink is
broken. The two are not the same.

Whether it does work, or does not work, that can stand on its own merits,
and has no relevance on the merits of prelink's behavior of rewriting
executables, without any means available of reliably remediating that, short
of recording the same hack for every application that
/etc/cron.daily/prelink does for /sbin/telinit.

If what prelink is doing is perfectly fine, then there's no reason to have
the /sbin/telinit hack in /etc/cron.daily, is it? That statement, of course,
would be either true or false irrespective of what I'm doing, which is
completely irrelevant.

But, of course, nobody is willing to address that point.