Ubuntu Unity has been ported to Fedora 17

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 19:33:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marques at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you ready to accept patches on GTK+ and potentially on Xorg that
> were declined from upstream? This should be your initial thoughts!

Can you point me to the relevant discussion for any critical
functionality patches which were actually submitted to the upstream
projects in question and were rejected.
My existing understanding is that unity can operate without any vendor
patches being applied outside of compiz, and the patches to compiz
have been upstreamed.
Everything else is enhanced functionality that is non-critical.
Particularly the xorg patches, as I am not aware of any critical xorg
patches that exist. Obviously the utouch stuff, regardless of its
upstream nature, is not critical functionality.

That being said, I'm pretty confident the maintainers of the impacted
packages are not going to take on substantial non-upstream patch sets
to Xorg and Gnome. It really goes against the upstream what is
reasonable ethos of this distribution.  I'll remind you again that
Unity isn't packaged in Debian for a reason. I would suggest this deep
vendor patching of shared components is part of that reason.

> Forking anything will lead this to nearly unmaintainable unless you
> have someone working fulltime on it ;)

Then this repository effort will continue to be a non-starter for
inclusion. That is unfortunate.

And due to the extensive nature of the package replacement, I will be
actively dissuading anyone from using these packages. I will also be
making an effort to inform community support providers in the irc and
forum support channels to look up for these packages being on a user's
system and to point those users to your preferred support channel for
help with their system when problems arise wit operation associated
with anything you replace including pulse audio and gnome.  For the
record, what is your preferred support channel for end-users to use if
they encounter problems after installing these packages?

-jef