No subject

Wed Jul 18 01:36:28 UTC 2012

 - gnome-session
   + 95_dbus_request_shutdown.patch ( not sure if this is still
required, this enabled the shutdown functions to work properly from
the session indicator ).
 - GTK+-2.0
   + 012_ubuntu-set-grab-add.patch   ( I don't believe this one is
used anymore, but this enabled to export widgets through DBus )
   + 043_ubuntu_menu_proxy.patch  ( to export menus through DBus, this
one is still used, and if I understood correctly, this is currently
the only remnant of non-upstreamed patches and I believe it was
declined by GTK+ upstream, to be confirmed in the next days )
   + There were 2 more fixes to properly generate the .gir packages,
not much big deal there.

The working packages are still here:
https://build.opensuse.org/package/files?package=gtk2&project=GNOME%3AAyatana%3A11.4

Those were the sensitive issues back then. I never included the XInput
stuff on Xorg and left this stuff behind because it was taking I
didn't had back then.

> That being said, I'm pretty confident the maintainers of the impacted
> packages are not going to take on substantial non-upstream patch sets
> to Xorg and Gnome. It really goes against the upstream what is
> reasonable ethos of this distribution.  I'll remind you again that
> Unity isn't packaged in Debian for a reason. I would suggest this deep
> vendor patching of shared components is part of that reason.

I agree. Like I said, I got warned from Vincent that some patches
weren't acceptable to merge with GNOME unless they were upstreamed.
I'm not surprised that others feel the same way.

>> Forking anything will lead this to nearly unmaintainable unless you
>> have someone working fulltime on it ;)
>
> Then this repository effort will continue to be a non-starter for
> inclusion. That is unfortunate.

+1; it would be interesting to any distro to also include Unity,
though I'm not sure that personally I would use it.

> And due to the extensive nature of the package replacement, I will be
> actively dissuading anyone from using these packages. I will also be
> making an effort to inform community support providers in the irc and
> forum support channels to look up for these packages being on a user's
> system and to point those users to your preferred support channel for
> help with their system when problems arise wit operation associated
> with anything you replace including pulse audio and gnome.  For the
> record, what is your preferred support channel for end-users to use if
> they encounter problems after installing these packages?

If it was me, I would still try to do what Canonical didn't, some
refactoring to code and see if could get it upstreamed to easen up for
everyone. I guess this involves a lot of work across several
components, but then all the community could benefit from them.

If people encounter bugs on this packages, go to the url[1], sounds
like the most logical option to me.

[1] - https://bugzilla.novell.com/enter_bug.cgi?classification=7340&product=openSUSE.org&component=3rd%20party%20software&assigned_to=vuntz@suse.com&short_desc=GNOME:Ayatana:%20Bug