Ubuntu Unity has been ported to Fedora 17

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 20:43:52 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Nelson Marques <nmo.marques at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've asked Ken to provide me some additional info on this; I will mail
> tomorrow or during the weekend the links to this list.

Let's get an accurate picture of what is actually left for vendor
patches before we decide the current situation is a non-starter. And
then try to categorize them as critical or not. End of the day, a
compromise will most likely have to be made with some non-critical
patches not being included, with Fedora's version of Unity being less
capable than Ubuntu's Unity desktop until the patches can be
refactored in a way that they are upstreamable.  I'm willing to help
where I can with any changes that lead to submittable packages.

We'll need a new maintainer for compiz inside Fedora as a necessary
pre-condition for getting any version of Unity in, But lets be honest,
compiz is effectively dead as an independent wm. It's primary use case
now is to be the infrastructure for the Unity Desktop.
This is a role I will not being volunteering for.

-jef