Heads up: nc replaced by nmap ncat

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Jul 19 21:46:23 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 12:30:35PM +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 01:27:14PM +0200, Thomas Moschny wrote:
> > 2012/7/19 Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com>:
> > > Libvirt needs to be able to run the following command
> > >
> > >   # nc -U /var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock
> >
> > It could use socat:
>
> This isn't something that can simply be fixed in libvirt in rawhide
> because you need to consider cross-version compatibility. Every
> existing deployed version of libvirt in every distro will be unable
> to connect to rawhide, even if we changed libvirt in rawhide to use
> socat.

To clarify what Dan means here (which I found a bit confusing
at first :-)

When a libvirt client connects to a remote machine, the libvirt client
sends the "nc -U ..." command over ssh.  So every libvirt on any
distro that might connect to a Rawhide libvirtd must be changed to
send a "socat ..." command instead.

[Having said that, socat does look like a better alternative to the
various incompatible netcats, in the long run.]

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top