Ubuntu Unity has been ported to Fedora 17

Michael scherer misc at zarb.org
Fri Jul 20 07:44:51 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 08:55:54PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 20:29 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On 07/19/2012 07:01 PM, Jussi Lehtola wrote:
> > > Lol, as if that isn't enough, looks like they ship their own version of
> > > GCC 4.6 as well in the repo...
> >
> > I don't know what Ubuntu has been doing so far, but to be fair, probably
> > all major Linux distros and, on a more general scope probably all OSes
> > ship their own (more or less heavily modified) versions of GCC for many
> > years - Neither Fedora nor RH are exceptions from this.
>
> Right, but the point is they're not using the Fedora one even though the
> packages are for Fedora. At a guess, bits of the Unity stack aren't
> ported to GCC 4.7 yet. Though it's usually not _too_ difficult to patch
> things to build okay with 4.7.

I directly asked to Didier Roche on irc ( unity dev ), he told me that unity
compile on gcc 4.7, but there is a specific issue with gcc 4.7 and sigc++ ABI
that requires him to force gcc 4.6 for now on Ubuntu ( until the current package
is updated to a version that do not break the ABI, and the base libraries are
rebuilt with this new version )

So there is no need for any specific code or patch, the packagers of the rpm just
followed blindly the packaging of Ubuntu without asking.

He also told me that now, there is no need for gtk patch and that it should work without
it.

So I would  suggest to get in touch with him, he is quite a helpful and open guy, and would
be happy to see unity on more than Ubuntu. ( for example, he is waiting on someone to
sponsor him for uploading packages to debian, and that's the reason why there is no
package yet ). Details to contact him are on his launchpad page.

--
Michael Scherer