Ubuntu Unity has been ported to Fedora 17

Nelson Marques nmo.marques at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 15:42:14 UTC 2012

Matthias,

Thanks for the info, I've left this behind a long time ago and I'm not
really considering jumping in again; I only found it amusing because
the original work on that repository was made by me in 2010 and for
some time. My comments were based on the experience I had.

Good too know that things have changed; it will be interesting to see
Unity as an option in any distro.

NM

2012/7/20 Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com>:
> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 11:33 -0800, Jef Spaleta wrote:
>> an you point me to the relevant discussion for any critical
>> functionality patches which were actually submitted to the upstream
>> projects in question and were rejected.
>> My existing understanding is that unity can operate without any vendor
>> patches being applied outside of compiz, and the patches to compiz
>> have been upstreamed.
>> Everything else is enhanced functionality that is non-critical.
>> Particularly the xorg patches, as I am not aware of any critical xorg
>> patches that exist. Obviously the utouch stuff, regardless of its
>> upstream nature, is not critical functionality.
>>
>> That being said, I'm pretty confident the maintainers of the impacted
>> packages are not going to take on substantial non-upstream patch sets
>> to Xorg and Gnome. It really goes against the upstream what is
>> reasonable ethos of this distribution.  I'll remind you again that
>> Unity isn't packaged in Debian for a reason. I would suggest this deep
>> vendor patching of shared components is part of that reason.
>
> I haven't looked at current unity, but the gmenu and gapplication work
> that has been included in glib/gtk+ in the last cycle should let them
> drop most of their menu-related patches.
>
> This work was done in cooperation with Canonical, and we've invested
> considerable effort into narrowing the gap - or preventing it from
> becoming a permantent rift.
>
> --

Nelson Marques
// I've stopped trying to understand sandwiches with a third piece of
bread in the middle...