PyXML package - deprecate it?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:28:42 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 05:19:01PM +0100, Roman Rakus wrote:
>>
>> Currently I'm going through packages and using pylint on *.py files on %preped
>> sources. And using --deprecated-modules option of pylint. I will post results,
>> report bugs and so on...
>>
> It's great that you're doing this.  Hopefully PyXML has been deprecated long
> enough that you'll find most code only needs the stdlib to function.

To revive a very old thread --

Did you get anywhere with this?  I've just found that the latest
version of docutils doesn't run if pyxml is installed (due to the
stdlib replacing its own implementations with pyxml's implementation
if pyxml is installed.)  For now, in rawhide, I've added a Conflicts
on PyXml but that's not going to work into the future (not the least
because you can't install packages that (perhaps bogusly) require
pyxml at the same time as docutils.)

I can see several ways forward --

* Deprecate pyxml as you were thinking of doing
* Locally patch the python stdlib to not replace its implementation of
xml with pyxml's.  I don't know if upstream python will take that as
python-2.7 is in maintainance mode but they may as it's somewhat
agreed that this importing of pyxml is not kosher in upstream (and has
been removed in python-3.x)
* I can file a bug and we can figure out how to fix PyXML so that
docutils works when it's installed.  (We may have to do this anyway as
there's a chance I may need to push a docutils update to older Fedora
for some bugfixes.)

Thanks,
-Toshio