A preupgrade adventure - F16 to F17

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:41:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-07-20 at 19:26 +0000, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > Um. I think you might be working from a completely false premise. If you
>> > did a fresh install of Fedora 16 you should have grub2. Not grub.
>>
>> Hmmm. This laptop has had F14, but IIRC it got a wipe-and-reinstall
>> treatment. You may be right on that point...

Hmm, now I think it was a F14 install:

ls -lah /root/anaconda-ks.cfg
-rw-------. 1 root root 837 Jun 13  2011 /root/anaconda-ks.cfg

Given the date, it could be F15, but I skipped it because OLPC ships
F14 and it was early stages of systemd transition. I prefer to pick my
battles :-)

(Kidding -- systemd is great on our XOs. )

> All preupgrade really does is download a bunch of packages and an
> anaconda image, set the packages up as a repository, write a kickstart

Thanks for the education! Happy to see it re-assigned to anaconda, or
grubby. Assigning it to preupgrade (in my pre-enlightened condition)
worked a charm.

Who calls grubby and ignores its ungraceful death? That needs bubble
up the call stack...

> In practice, yeah, just getting it onto grub2 - either before the
> preupgrade or after - is likely the simplest way out of your problem.

Upgrade completed without any more hiccups. Moving to grub2.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions