A preupgrade adventure - F16 to F17

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jul 21 10:21:35 UTC 2012

Am 21.07.2012 01:41, schrieb Martin Langhoff:
> Hmm, now I think it was a F14 install:
>
> ls -lah /root/anaconda-ks.cfg
> -rw-------. 1 root root 837 Jun 13  2011 /root/anaconda-ks.cfg
>
> Who calls grubby and ignores its ungraceful death? That needs bubble
> up the call stack...
>
> Upgrade completed without any more hiccups. Moving to grub2

the move to grub2 should have been dobe in the F16 cycle

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum#Fedora_15_-.3E_Fedora_16
look at "Bootloader change"

this may be a big change on older setups because
you have to make sure there is enough space for
GRUB2 meaning on all my machines installed in 2008
make free space before the /boot partition

that is why the movement to grub2 is not done automatically