Any ETA for OpenCL support in Mesa?

David Airlie airlied at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 00:00:46 UTC 2012

> Hello All!
> Since March 2012 can be built with --enable-opencl (see this -
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMTE ) so maybe
> it's time to enable it in Fedora? Actually I really don't know what's
> the status of OpenCL support in Nouveay/Radeon drivers - according to
> various Phoronix articles some work was already done and some patches
> still have to be merged. Could someone summarize the current status
> of
> OpenCL support in the drivers as well as in the high-level libraries?

I made a first pass at packaging it and starting feeling ill at the pain,

the big problem was pacakging libclc, its horribly developed, got what I think
is a handwritten build system in python (or a port of one), requires a fair
few patches to even get close to being useful.

I'm sort of waiting for AMD to say when they think things are more ready,
from a radeon pov, and from what I know nouveau support still isn't merged
into mesa.

So at the moment I get the feeling that you could probably run clinfo and not
much more.

Dave.