Debugging Fedora UEFI boot problems on Intel DQ77MK

Przemek Klosowski przemek.klosowski at nist.gov
Thu Jul 26 18:36:39 UTC 2012

On 07/26/2012 06:32 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> I have a new Intel DQ77MK motherboard, based on the Intel Q77 chipset.
> CPU is Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770.
> I'm running the latest BIOS version (0048), and UEFI boot is enabled in the BIOS.

I take it that this one doesn't have the secure boot yet? The secure
UEFI boot is almost certainly not the cause here---AFAIK there aren't
any publicly available secure UEFI implementations yet, and your board
seemed to execute the bootloader just fine and got bogged down during
the kernel startup.

If secure boot was the issue, it would fail to boot because the
bootloader is not yet signed. BTW, is the behavior in such case
prescribed by the secure UEFI spec? Can the system lock up black or does
it have to print a message and return to UEFI prompt?