[ACTION REQUIRED v4] Retiring packages for F-18

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Jul 26 23:52:17 UTC 2012

Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
> On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 15:37 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>> The date is useful for making it
>> immediately obvious how up-to-date a package is, I guess, but it has no
>> really key function for differentiating builds any more.)

> It's not even that.  With CVS you could have done a checkout of a tag
> which could be quite old compared to the day's date you did the
> checkout.  Using the date somewhat assumes you're doing a checkout of
> HEAD, which isn't always the case.  I'd move that embedding the date in
> there is of little use.

The good thing about putting the date in there is that it's likely to
help the NEVR sort correctly, whereas git hashes for instance will
certainly not help.  Upstreams have been known to change SCMs from time
to time, as well.  I realize we're supposed to bump the "0.n" part,
but I'd just as soon the upstream-ID part was likely to sort correctly
as well.

			regards, tom lane