[ACTION REQUIRED v4] Retiring packages for F-18

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 00:32:54 UTC 2012

> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
> > On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 15:37 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >> The date is useful for making it
> >> immediately obvious how up-to-date a package is, I guess, but it has no
> >> really key function for differentiating builds any more.)
>
> > It's not even that.  With CVS you could have done a checkout of a tag
> > which could be quite old compared to the day's date you did the
> > checkout.  Using the date somewhat assumes you're doing a checkout of
> > HEAD, which isn't always the case.  I'd move that embedding the date in
> > there is of little use.
>
> The good thing about putting the date in there is that it's likely to
> help the NEVR sort correctly, whereas git hashes for instance will
> certainly not help.  Upstreams have been known to change SCMs from time
> to time, as well.  I realize we're supposed to bump the "0.n" part,
> but I'd just as soon the upstream-ID part was likely to sort correctly
> as well.

I really think the 0.n part is sufficient for this. You can always just
bump it to avoid, really, any kind of difficulty. For example, the very
case that prompted my aside: I just had to bump the 0.n part one digit
to ensure that correcting the rest of the tag - which involved
substantial changes, which would have ordered completely differently
without the 0.n part - wouldn't cause any problems.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey