[ACTION REQUIRED v4] Retiring packages for F-18

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Jul 27 18:37:04 UTC 2012

On 07/27/2012 11:29 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> That's hyperbolic.  A date tells you something meaningful even if it is
> specifying something that turns out to be a range of valid entries.
>
> I might not know if 20120106 is more recent code than 20110610 but I know
> that it isn't older code, for instance.

No, you don't.  All you know is that "20120106" is the date the checkout
was made.  The checkout could be code from 2 years ago, where as the
checkout that was done on 20110610 was of code that was at the time
brand new (and then later determined to be too full of errors to
continue using).

The date things were checked out is pretty meaningless.  More context is
needed, even on SCMs without a canonical revision identifier.  You'd
want to know what branch or tag the checkout was from.  That kind of
detail goes in the changelog, not shoved into the release string.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!