Shorewall and kernel-modules-extra

Glandvador glandvador at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 29 13:44:00 UTC 2012

Hi,

Some shorewall (firewall) operations depend on several modules moved to
kernel-modules-extra package.

Without the kernel-modules-extra package shorewall stops with errors like:
RTNETLINK answers: No such file or directory
leaving the system without network connectivity. Very fun for when upgrading a
network only device :) In my case at least sch_ingress and sch_sfq.

The functionality concerns traffic shaping and I think there are a lot of
traffic shape scripts depending of those modules out of there. At least google
suggest it.

So how to deal with that? From my POI, either make shorewall depending of the
kernel-modules-extra or move back some of the sch_* modules to the main kernel
package. Need to know in order to fill a bug report :)

Regards,
glandvador