Debugging Fedora UEFI boot problems on Intel DQ77MK

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Mon Jul 30 15:36:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:34:12AM -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> On 07/30/2012 11:28 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> >> Have you tried booting with more logging?  Without "quiet" param?
> >>
> > There's no "quiet" param. The default UEFI boot options are "verbose" as a default.
> >
> > I can't see *any* output from Linux kernel. Also I tried settings up SOL serial console,
> > but I can't see any Linux messages there either. SOL stays empty/silent.
> >
> > Is serial console supposed to work OK in the usual way, with UEFI boot?
> >
> > And again: Booting in legacy BIOS mode works OK, and the serial console works there aswell.
> > I have problems only in UEFI mode, where I can't get *any* output from Linux.
> >
> > -- Pasi
> >

> Are you booting x86 or x86_64 version?
>
> I don't think x86 is supported for UEFI boot.

x86_64 (64bit), of course.

I get grub-EFI boot menu from the DVD, I choose Fedora,
I get the grub-EFI texts about allocating memory pages for LINUX-EFI, loading VMLINUZ, etc..
and then the screen goes blank and everything stops there.

Multiple people have confirmed UEFI boot is broken on Intel 7-series motherboards,
so I believe this is Intel BIOS/firmware bug.

-- Pasi