Suggestion: Continuous mass rebuild

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Jul 30 19:12:13 UTC 2012

On 07/30/2012 12:02 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
>> On 07/29/2012 10:38 AM, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>>
>>> Currently we're doing a mass rebuild about every couple of releases,
>>> ie. once a year.
>>>
>>> Since Dennis Gilmore has written this rebuild script already, why
>>> don't we run the script more or less continuously?  Obviously we could
>>> pace the builds so they happen for each package about once a month and
>>> don't overload Koji.
>>>
>>> Then we track packages that don't build, say, 3 times in a row, and
>>> file FTBFS bugs for them and after that prioritize fixing them or kick
>>> them out of the distro.
>>>
>>> Rich.
>>>

>> Matt Domsch used to do this on the side, which is the right way to do
>> it.  If he's not doing it anymore, I would urge some concerned
>> contributor to help setup the infrastructure to do it again.
>
> There's been a lot of work to make it so we can do it ourselves. If
> anyone wants to help out on it I can point you to what we built. Until
> we get the new hw active we will be limited on where we can run, though.
>
> -sv

I believe I misphrased my statement above.  I'm not necessarily
encouraging somebody to go outside the Fedora Infrastructure to do mass
rebuild attempts.  My goal was to encourage people to do it in a
throw-away method, not an actual spec committing build bumping use of
Koji.  The rebuilds should be attempted outside of koji and without
modifying the sources.  If there is room to do that inside Fedora's
Infrastructure, all the better.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!